Director, marketing and communications
Role and responsabilities
Our client is looking for a Director, Marketing and Communications that will develop, lead and implement our client’s marketing and communications plan. He/she will design, cultivate and maintain a recognizable brand image for our client, will plan and manage all internal and external communications and all public relations, including content intended for publications and various interactive platforms. Located at its head office in Montreal, he/she will report to the President and CEO and will work closely with and provide support to the Director of Development, the Chief Research and Programs Officer and the Chief Finance & Strategy Officer.
Positions reporting directly to the Director:
- Communications Officer;
- Communications and Marketing Advisor.
More specifically, your responsibilities will consist of:
- Build the profile of our client through contributing to the development and implementation of a thoughtful marketing and communications program;
- Contribute to the development of our client’s brand, and ensure public communications align with the brand;
- Provide communications support to fundraising, including the design and production of campaign materials, briefing documents, proposals and stewardship reports;
- Manage and implement marketing and communications materials for government, partners, donors, researchers, the public and other stakeholders, including annual reports, websites, announcements, articles, news releases, newsletters, speeches and documents for the Board of Directors;
- Develop and maintain relationship with journalists and marketing and communication professionals to promote our client and its work;
- Lead an effective social media presence ;
- Coordinate the creation of reports for government, partners and private donors translating monitoring data into engaging and accessible narratives;
- In collaboration with the President and CEO, contribute to the development of a strategy for and seek out speaking engagements at meetings and conferences, and opportunities with the media;
- Collaborate with team members to plan and execute events that raise awareness and support for our client, i.e., announcements with Government officials, receptions, dinners, conferences, meetings, and presentations to donors, prospects, scientists and other stakeholders;
- Prepare and manages the budget for the marketing and communications department;
- Serve as an enthusiastic and well-informed spokesperson and ambassador for our client at public functions and special events;
- Continually learn about our client’s approach and the research supported by them to better communicate it;
- Other special projects and duties as required.
Experience and requirements
- At least ten-years successful experience as a communications professional in the marketing and public relations field, ideally in the health research, university or healthcare sector;
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or marketing;
- A communications generalist, comfortable with the range of communications roles;
- An understanding of the complexities of scientific research and skilled at conveying science and research in lay terms;
- Leadership and people management skills;
- Team player;
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office and communications software;
- Bilingual, with excellent written communications skills in English and French;
- A professional presence and comfortable within all environments up through to the President and CEO level;
- Extremely well organized, diligent and detail oriented;
- Positive attitude, decisive, resourceful and highly motivated with entrepreneurial spirit;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Good judgment;
- Ability to operate with a high degree of autonomy;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and requests, and to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Available to work outside normal office hours and to travel nationally on occasion.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Our client is an equal opportunity employer that offers a dynamic work environment and attractive compensation and benefits.