Client : Energy
Report to : President, CEO
Position : Vice President Sales
Date: December 9, 2013
Duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the VP Sales is responsible for the sales and business development functions of the Company. The VP Sales is also responsible for developing an effective sales strategy, tactics and operational plans to drive profitable growth in the sales of the Company products and related services. He will assist the Director of Marketing in driving interest, demand and recognition for the Company’s products through the planning and execution of an effective marketing and promotion plan. The Sales Director will also be responsible for the identification, definition and prioritization of new business growth opportunities, with the associated development of rigorous business cases and market launch plans.
The Sales Director will be responsible for:
- Responsible for delivering overall product and aftermarket sales revenue targets, either through direct sales to end users and equipment packagers, or via distributors and value added resellers.
- Responsible for delivering contribution margins (measured at the time of order receipt) that meet or exceed corporate targets.
Planning & Budgeting:
- Works with Segment and Regional Sales Managers to develop strategies and tactics to increase sales of commercial products.
- Formulates annual sales and marketing plan and budget for the Sales Group to ensure efficient use of all resources to effectively execute on annual sales objectives.
- Identify future resources required to meet 3-5 year growth targets.
- Develops and implements effective pricing strategies that capture value-add delivered to the customer while positioning the company in a consistent manner relative to the company’s strategy, assets and capabilities.
- Prepares all monthly sales reports that allow for the monitoring and appraisal of all sales efforts. Identifies key sales-related performance indicators for effective performance management.
- Generates annual and quarterly sales projections/forecasts for internal manufacturing
Management, Motivation, Training & reporting
- Completes annual performance reviews of direct reports (Segment and Regional Sales
- Managers) to ensure high performance.
- Develops comprehensive training programs for the sales team. Develops and maintains a standard of performance, and performs systematic checks to raise skills and work practices to the required level.
- Ensure the proper performance of sales group through training, incentives and motivation.
- In conjunction with the CEO and CFO develops and sets commission and bonus structure and levels.
- Ensure formal, customized training materials for education and development of sales staff.
- Ensures that sales metrics are up-to-date.
Channel Sales & Relationships:
- Help sell into the top accounts
- Maintain direct relationships through systematic contact with top key accounts representatives.
- Monitor customer satisfaction through annual customer survey.
- Develop and execute key action plans to address customer concerns and improve overall customer satisfaction.
Market Research & Intelligence
- Conduct and analyze market research to determine market trends, competitive forces and emerging market needs.
- Maintain information of key competition to monitor relative competitive position, market share and key competitor capabilities.
Management of Business Development Process:
- Develop & manage a structured and systematic process for the identification, definition and prioritization of new business growth opportunities, including new product development, development of new service offerings and geographic market expansion.
- Maintain a system of soliciting new product concepts and market development ideas by soliciting feedback from key customers, internal personnel and key influencers in the Company’s target markets.
- Conduct frequent reviews of the status of new business development initiatives to align internal expectations regarding the pace and scope of new business development.
- Co-ordinate ‘voice of the customer’ participation in key new product development initiatives and teams.
- Manage new product launch activities, including sales and channel strategy, identification and targeting of key early adopters or lead customers (including prototype test sites if required), market launch strategy including advertising and promotion.
Business case and market assessment
- Develop rigorous and appropriate business cases for the development of new business opportunities. Business cases will document and quantify economic value proposition, risk-adjusted financial return, net financial investment and expected revenue and margin impact of new business opportunities.
- Conduct market research to understand market drivers, competitive landscape, and market structure of target new product markets.
Financing of new product development
- Identify potential sources of financing for new product development, including customer funded product development contracts and government funding sources.
- Make recommendations regarding the most appropriate forms of financing to maximize financial returns and minimize risk.
- Co-ordinate the preparation of all government funding and joint development contract proposals, collaborating with VP Engineering and VP Finance and other personnel in the preparation of technical and commercial funding proposals.
- Negotiate the commercial aspects of all funding and product development contracts.
Management of existing and new product development relationships
- Manage commercial aspects of key relationships with product development partners, including ExxonMobil.
- Participate in creating strategic partnerships, alliances and other corporate relationships.
- Work with Segment and Regional Sales Managers to determine ongoing needs for marketing
- collateral, advertising and promotion, event marketing (conferences & tradeshows) and
- channel marketing.
- In conjunction with the Director for Marketing, develop annual marketing plan for
- addressing prioritized marketing needs in a systematic fashion.
- Work with Director of Marketing on the execution of annual marketing plan
- A BSc/MSc educated in an Engineering discipline, with an MBA or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years Senior Management Sales & Business Development experience within a medium to large industrial products or engineering company.
- Rounded in all aspects of sales and marketing methodology to both end-user and channel customers.
- Extensive knowledge of industrial equipment marketing issues, technical markets, pricing models, channels of distribution, technology trends, customer buying patterns, budgeting, public relations, advertising, statistics and analysis, P&L background, planning skills, competitive strategies, event marketing, channel marketing, product management, team management, presentation, sales and strong training skills during high growth stages.
- Energetic, results-oriented, and a catalyst for change.
- Exceptional closing, relationship management and contract negotiation skills.
- Strong planning, time management, and decision-making skills and the ability to excel in a networked team environment.
- Project Management/ planning skills with excellent execution skills are required for this position.
- Must have the ability to uncover business problems/opportunities and to recommend solutions to customers.
- Competency in using common software programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Must be willing to travel